No gym, no problem with this workout that requires nothing more than a square foot of space, a weight plate and a sweat towel on standby.
Muscles worked: traps, lats, pecs, biceps, forearms Reps: 10 Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60 secs
- You need to really want to stop by the time you hit 10 reps, so go as heavy as you can with the plate – but be careful not to crack your head against it on each rotation.
Muscles worked: triceps, traps, lats, quads, hamstrings, glutes, coreReps: 10-12 Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60-90 secs
- Trouble keeping your heels down? Slide a slim weight plate under each heel.
Muscles worked: obliques, quadratus lumborum (QL), pecs, lats, delts, forearms Reps: 10 each way Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60 secs
- Allow your feet and hips to go with the movement. Keep the centre of the plate in line with the centre of your chest and you won’t go far wrong.
Muscles worked: adductors, abductors, glutes, hamstrings, quads, biceps, core Reps: 6-10 each side Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60-90 secs
- Pause, then drive through your heel and reverse the movement, back to the start position.
Muscles worked: delts, pecs, lats, traps, rhomboids, coreReps: 10 each side Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60-90 secs
- Keep your knees soft and control that grimace.
Single-Arm Farmers Walk
Muscles worked: obliques, QL, forearms, lats, abs Reps: 60-90 secs for each arm Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60 secs
- Keep your shoulders and hips level, then begin to walk purposefully around the gym. Grip killing you? Good. Want to stop? Excellent. Just keep going for at least 60 seconds, then switch arms.
Plate Bridge Pullover
Muscles worked: lats, traps, core, triceps, delts, glutes, hamstrings Reps: 10-12 Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60-90 secs
- Pause just above the floor, then bring the plate back to the start position.
Pick-Up to Overhead Press
Muscles worked: glutes, quads, hamstrings, biceps, forearms, delts, triceps, traps, lats, rhomboids Reps: 12-25 Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60-90 secs
- Return to the start position and go again.
Muscles worked: abs, obliques, Ql, triceps, lats, traps, delts, rhomboids Reps: 6-12 Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60-90 secs
- Return (with control) to the start position and go again.
Muscles worked: obliques, abs, QL, lats, forearms, biceps Reps: 20 each side Sets: 3-4 Rest: 60 secs
- Bracing your core, twist the weight to one side, then the other. That’s one rep.
Words: Luke Grainger Photography: Eddie MacdonaldModel: Paul Knops (W Model Management)